Powered by Blogger.

Monday, February 20, 2012


SSTMI Thunderbolts emerged champions of the MHC-MILO-NSC Junior Hockey League when they played to a 1-1 draw against uniKL Young guns at the Taman Daya Hockey stadium in Johor Baru.
Having being tied on points and goal difference the title and the RM15,000 prize money went to SSTMI on number of goals scored for they had scored a goal more then their opponents today. UniKL took home RM10,000 for their efforts.

The atmosphere at the stadium was electrifying as the UniKL supporters, known as Ultras. started their chants even before their team could take to the pitch to warm up.
And on the home front, the support, though unorganised, was not subdued either as they too went into a frenzy when their team went onto the pitch to warm up.
Thunderbolts were the early aggressors as they dictated play and made several forays into the semi circle but could not create a goal worth shot in the opening ten minutes. On the other hand UniKL opted to hold back, allowing their opponents to dictate the pace as they went for quick counter attacks.
Thunderbolts almost scored in the 16th minute but got the first penalty corner of the match instead. But the effort by Mohd Shahril Saabah was well saved by UniKL custodian Mohd Shukor Safie.
But that did not deter Thunderbolts who forced another penalty corner in the 20th minute.
And this time they found the net. Shahril's attempt was charged down but the ball fell kindly to Amir Zulkarnain Ahmad Robangi who made no mistake to send the home crowd into a frenzy.
That jolted UniKL and they went into the offensive in search of the equaliser. And they were awarded their first penalty corner in the 24th minute.
Although Mohd Nor Aqmal Abdul Ghaffar scored from a set piece, umpire R. Anbanathan disallowed the goal for obstruction. But UniKL were awarded another penalty corner a minute later and N. Kartigan sent his flick direct into the keeper Mohd Fareez Nari Musa.
In a sustained pressure spanning over three minutes, UniKL were awarded yet another penalty corner but this time Fareez pulled off a spectecular save to deny them an equaliser.
Thunderbolts were content to defend and attack on occasional forays upfront. And their plan was almost rewarded as Muhammad shafiq Nordin sneaked behind the UniKL defence to deflect a shot in the 30th minute, but it went wide.
That was the break UniKL needed as they were on level terms in the 32nd minute when Muhammad Hafiz Zainol deflected in a shot by Muhd Syafiq Zulzairin to put his team on level terms.
The second half started with UniKL looking more promising, but still muffed sitters and the draw at the monent was more favourable to Thunderbolts than the university side.
However, the electrifying final almost turned into a free-for-all in  the 48th minute, when Thunderbolts player Mohd Huzairy Mohd Zin hit a UniKL player who fell to the ground grimacing in pain.
Players from both sides started shoving and pushing each other, and the incident almost turned ugly but UniKL manager Amir Azhar ran onto the pitch and pulled back his players.
 Though UniKL created more chances and had penalty corners, they let the title slip out of their grasp.



Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...