Powered by Blogger.

Friday, May 25, 2012


Malaysia held Korea to a 1-1 draw in the final match in the opening day of the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup in Ipoh.
It was a spirited display from the Malaysians who fielded several youngsters, with three earning their first international caps.
Six of the seven juniors who featured in the victorious Junior Asia Cup in Malacca were fielded in the match against the Koreans.
Only Mohd Fitri Saari was not named for the match. Three juniors Mohd Rahmadan Rosli, Noor Faeez Ibrahim and Norhizzat Ibrahim earned their first international caps for the national team.

The other juniors in the team are Faizal Saari, Mohd Firhan Ashaari and Amir Farid Ahmad Fuzi.
The juniors proved in the match that they have the ability to play as good as the seniors in the match.
Both the teams started off cautiously but it was Malaysia, who earned their first penalty corner in the six minute.
Striker Faizal, who was joint top scorer in the Junior Asia Cup with six goals, flicked the ball over the post. A minute later Faizal had another chance to give Malaysia the lead but he muffed his chance from top of the semi circle.
However, the speedy Koreans capitalised from a counter attack and they took the lead through Seo Jong Ho in the seventh minute.
Jong-ho collected a through pass from Kang Moon-kweon before pushing the ball past goalkeeper Kumar.
Malaysia earned another penalty corner in the 20th minute and Mohd Razie Abdul Rahim’s flick was easily blocked a Korean defender.
The Koreans had a chance to increase the lead in the 34th minute but Jang Jong-hyun high flick was well saved by Kumar.
Faisal was put through by Tengku Ahmad Tajuddin in the 55th minute but he went straight into the Korean keeper thus wasting a golden opportunity.
But he made amends in 56th minute when a cross from Mohd Marhan Jalil went through a sea of legs and Faisal had the easy task of putting the ball into the empty goal, much to the delight of the 7,000 odd fans.
Korea nearly made Malaysia pay for prolonged celebrations as they were awarded a penalty corner in the very next minute but once again Kumar stood tall in between the posts.
Malaysia survived a final ten minutes onslaught to hold on for a well deserved draw.



Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...